Host-to-FXCore comms

Gormenghast

Host-to-FXCore comms

Post by Gormenghast »

Hi,

I'm excited to have discovered the FXCore - it is 95% of the thing I have been dreaming of for some time :-)

May I ask - since I can find no mention of it in the docs - whether there is any way of writing parameters into the FXCore from a host processor while a program is running? It would seem a strange omission if there wasn't, given that the I2C interface is already there and that, without such a facility, no parameter can easily be set to a precision greater than that with which one can turn a pot.

I can envisage certain workarounds for such a limitation, but they are not exactly elegant.

Fingers crossed for a positive answer...

Best regards,

Steve
Frank

Re: Host-to-FXCore comms

Post by Frank »

No, there isn't. While it has I2C making real time changes to parameters over it is not as simple as it may seem.

Most people are using the second I2S interface to send data for real time changes. Simple protocol (no addressing, no ACKs, etc.) and the FXCore program can read the registers in the program code and decide what to do with the data.
Gormenghast

Re: Host-to-FXCore comms

Post by Gormenghast »

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the confirmation. I know it is not trivial and there are always some restrictions - I have been working with the AD SigmaDSPs where they have a "safeload" function that reserves time for you to update just a few parameters each sample period.

Using the second I2S port was one of the workarounds I had in mind; the other was some sort of horrid matrix arrangement using the digital inputs and the pots, but that is perhaps best left unexplored!

It's not the end of the world and certainly isn't going to stop me having a go with the FXCore. I have been looking for something that lets me get closer to the bare metal than the SigmaDSP but without the learning curve and complexity of the full-blown general purpose DSPs and this could be it.

Best regards,

Steve