stanleyfx

Re: First FXCore based pedal now shipping

Post by stanleyfx »

Very Nice.
Mick (Blue Nebula Design team)
PhilHaw

Post by PhilHaw »

Good to see the first of what hopefully will be many FXCore based pedals.

Any idea what Codec chip it's using?

Philip
Philip Hawthorne

Blue Nebula Development Team
Frank

Post by Frank »

No idea, you would have to ask them directly. Or I may open mine up when it gets here, yeah I ordered one.
PhilHaw

Post by PhilHaw »

Frank wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 pm No idea, you would have to ask them directly. Or I may open mine up when it gets here, yeah I ordered one.
Great!

We're trying to get our project working with the AK4619 Codec. Most of the defaults should work and, as far as I can tell, the default clock settings and I2S data format should work with the FXCore. We do need use I2C to set the AK4619 analog inputs to single-ended on start-up for our circuitry as the AK4619 starts in differential input mode by default.

Phil.
Philip Hawthorne

Blue Nebula Development Team
DisasterArea

Post by DisasterArea »

PhilHaw wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:04 pm Good to see the first of what hopefully will be many FXCore based pedals.

Any idea what Codec chip it's using?

Philip
Cirrus CS4220. I have a couple of reels of them and they work great but they are power hogs (50mA) and want a 5V supply for AVDD. They also run much better in differential mode, I do not like how they sound single-ended.

We had planned to use CoolAudio V4220M, basically a clone of the CS4220, but they've suspended production for the present. So it's back to the surplus / old parts. Getting quite a few bad ones in production, would not recommend them for a new design.

When we run out of the 4220s we will be moving to the 4558, assuming it's available. The 4619 is a nice part but it's a bit more than we need for the pedals we're making.
sebotron

Post by sebotron »

DisasterArea wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:52 am The 4619 is a nice part but it's a bit more than we need for the pedals we're making.
In what sense do you mean? Its availability and suitability made it the best choice by default for me considering the 4558 isn't out yet (I'm expecting samples some time in December), the 4556 is obsolete and the CS4270 (which was my first choice before finding out about the 4558) is unobtainium.
DisasterArea

Post by DisasterArea »

sebotron wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:05 pm
DisasterArea wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:52 am The 4619 is a nice part but it's a bit more than we need for the pedals we're making.
In what sense do you mean? Its availability and suitability made it the best choice by default for me considering the 4558 isn't out yet (I'm expecting samples some time in December), the 4556 is obsolete and the CS4270 (which was my first choice before finding out about the 4558) is unobtainium.
Exactly. For you, the 4619 is the best choice. We don't need 4 input or output channels, so if the 4558 sounds good it'll be a better choice for what we're making. I've also got at least a year's worth of 4220s so I'm not as concerned about availability. I also really like the 4270, I would use them if I could get them.

Use what you can get, the world is a weird place right now.
stanleyfx

Post by stanleyfx »

We are also using the AK4619 at the moment as that was the only IC available to work with, we are only using 2ins/2outs. Initially we are using single ended inputs.
I hope to see the AK4558 getting released soon though as we will try that for any pedals that don't need the 4in/outs.
Mick (Blue Nebula Design team)
sebotron

Post by sebotron »

My prototype pcb is on its way atm. It's got the FXC, an AK4619 codec, an STM32L0 mcu for IO and setting up the codec and a 16kb eeprom for saving stuff. Hopefully I did everything right, I'll report back ASAP!