Codec alternatives?

sebotron

Codec alternatives?

Post by sebotron »

So, I've been working on a first design using the FXCore for a few weeks and I've used the CS4270-CZZ codec from Cirrus, mainly because it has good specs and I already had a handful from a previous project. So far so good.

Problem is, as with almost every other semi out there, everybody's out of the damn thing until god knows when. The AK4556-VT that's on the devboard is obsolete and its successor, the AK4558EN isn't out yet. I talked to a person specialized in sourcing and they said that, on top of everything else, the AKM factory had a fire last year and that Cirrus had taken part of their production so both are in high demand and very low availability, making things a bit of a pickle right now.

I was wondering if anybody knew of an alternative that I could stock a few hundreds of without too much hassle.

Cheers!
stanleyfx

Re: Codec alternatives?

Post by stanleyfx »

The new AK4619VN has just been released now, I have just bought a handful of these to check out. Specs are good and the one Codec chip can handle all 4ins and 4 outs. QFN package though so a little care is needed if hand soldering these. I'm using hot air or hot plate workstation rather than a tipped iron.
Mick (Blue Nebula Design team)
sebotron

Post by sebotron »

stanleyfx wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:27 am The new AK4619VN has just been released now, I have just bought a handful of these to check out. Specs are good and the one Codec chip can handle all 4ins and 4 outs. QFN package though so a little care is needed if hand soldering these. I'm using hot air or hot plate workstation rather than a tipped iron.
Thank you! Just looked it up - I'd prefer to use single-ended analog IO, I see this one seems to have both single and differential. Only problem I see is it only seems to have an i2c control port without physical control pins - which is an issue because obviously decent MCUs are just as hard to find haha

I somehow got a pricing for a handful of AK4558EN (probably samples?) and best I've got was 10 pcs @ $61.50ea :o

I'll keep digging!
stanleyfx

Post by stanleyfx »

sebotron wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:28 am
stanleyfx wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:27 am The new AK4619VN has just been released now, I have just bought a handful of these to check out. Specs are good and the one Codec chip can handle all 4ins and 4 outs. QFN package though so a little care is needed if hand soldering these. I'm using hot air or hot plate workstation rather than a tipped iron.
Thank you! Just looked it up - I'd prefer to use single-ended analog IO, I see this one seems to have both single and differential. Only problem I see is it only seems to have an i2c control port without physical control pins - which is an issue because obviously decent MCUs are just as hard to find haha

I somehow got a pricing for a handful of AK4558EN (probably samples?) and best I've got was 10 pcs @ $61.50ea :o

I'll keep digging!
Yes it has the option to use single ended or differential inputs so that isn't really an issue as you have the choice, and the outputs are single ended. i2c control is a definite problem if you don't want to use an MCU.

The AK4558EN is also a codec I have looked at but until they are available and at a good price then like yourself my search is continuing. $61.50 each is not good :shock:
sebotron

Post by sebotron »

stanleyfx wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:57 am Yes it has the option to use single ended or differential inputs so that isn't really an issue as you have the choice, and the outputs are single ended. i2c control is a definite problem if you don't want to use an MCU.

The AK4558EN is also a codec I have looked at but until they are available and at a good price then like yourself my search is continuing. $61.50 each is not good :shock:
Ya I went through the datasheet and I'm giving the 4619 a try. I'll just slap on a tiny85 next to it just for startup, they're still available and cheap enough. I made an Eagle lbr for it, happy to share if you're interested. Thanks for the reco!

I can always go back to that design and replace the atmels with a bigger ST later when availability is back to normal - you know, some day. :lol:
stanleyfx

Post by stanleyfx »

Yeah, Cheers if you can share the Eagle lbr file that would be great, I can import that into Diptrace.
PhilHaw

Post by PhilHaw »

sebotron wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:33 am

Ya I went through the datasheet and I'm giving the 4619 a try. I'll just slap on a tiny85 next to it just for startup, they're still available and cheap enough. I made an Eagle lbr for it, happy to share if you're interested. Thanks for the reco!

I can always go back to that design and replace the atmels with a bigger ST later when availability is back to normal - you know, some day. :lol:
Did you get the AK4619 working with your FXCore setup?

BTW The AK4558 is also I2C controlled but can also be configured to run in 'parallel' mode.

Philip
Philip Hawthorne

Blue Nebula Development Team
sebotron

Post by sebotron »

Sorry, been away from the forum for a bit!

I just completed the hardware design for my project and I've just started writing the software tonight. The AK4619 seems fairly easy to setup, most defaults sound okay for the FXC as master so it's only a matter of setting up clock settings and powering up in the correct sequence I think. I'll be getting prototype boards fabbed shortly, happy to report back!

If anyone of you guys want to talk directly over Discord, please hit me up with a DM I'll share my handle.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I am very interested in hearing about the AK4619 in your design. I have not had a chance to play with one yet (kind of busy with this whole semiconductor shortage thing).
PhilHaw

Post by PhilHaw »

We've also got our AK4619 working. As sebotron says, most of the default values in the control registers will work ok. We just needed to set up the analog input mode to single-ended and you also need to set the Power Management register to power up the ADCs and DACs as they default to off.
Philip Hawthorne

Blue Nebula Development Team