Codec alternatives?

sebotron

Re: Codec alternatives?

Post by sebotron »

PhilHaw wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:53 pm We've also got our AK4619 working. As sebotron says, most of the default values in the control registers will work ok. We just needed to set up the analog input mode to single-ended and you also need to set the Power Management register to power up the ADCs and DACs as they default to off.
Very cool! I'm still waiting for the boards from fab but I've written the mcu code and basically did that so I'm glad that it works. How's the performance? Is it quiet?
PhilHaw

Post by PhilHaw »

sebotron wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:24 pm Very cool! I'm still waiting for the boards from fab but I've written the mcu code and basically did that so I'm glad that it works. How's the performance? Is it quiet?
We're still at the breadboard stage (PCB design almost finalised) so I wouldn't like to comment on any noise due to the spaghetti wiring which is probably picking up some clock noise and other garbage from my PC! Mick has told me his setup is as quiet as the FX Core Dev Board with the AK4556VT codec.
Philip Hawthorne

Blue Nebula Development Team
sebotron

Post by sebotron »

PhilHaw wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:54 am
sebotron wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:24 pm Very cool! I'm still waiting for the boards from fab but I've written the mcu code and basically did that so I'm glad that it works. How's the performance? Is it quiet?
We're still at the breadboard stage (PCB design almost finalised) so I wouldn't like to comment on any noise due to the spaghetti wiring which is probably picking up some clock noise and other garbage from my PC! Mick has told me his setup is as quiet as the FX Core Dev Board with the AK4556VT codec.
I didn't dare try to breadboard high speed clock signals - I'm surprised you guys got it working! I'm running a final check on my layout and schematics and will order proto boards today. I'm deathly afraid of having forgotten something :lol:
PhilHaw

Post by PhilHaw »

sebotron wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:46 pm
I didn't dare try to breadboard high speed clock signals - I'm surprised you guys got it working! I'm running a final check on my layout and schematics and will order proto boards today. I'm deathly afraid of having forgotten something :lol:
I know the feeling!

Adding series resistors in the clock lines (33ohm or 51ohm) is recommended to help reduce clock problems - see the MCLK connection on the FXCore Dev Board schematic for example.

Good luck with your boards :-)

Phil.
Philip Hawthorne

Frank

Post by Frank »

PhilHaw wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:26 pm
Adding series resistors in the clock lines (33ohm or 51ohm) is recommended to help reduce clock problems - see the MCLK connection on the FXCore Dev Board schematic for example.
This^^^

Put the resistor on the driving side of the line (i.e. close to FXCore for MCLK) and not the receiving side. This will cut down on reflections, ringing, false clocking, etc. Also helps FCC/CE compliance testing.

Most times values in the 30 to 50 ohm range work fine but you may have a board with complex routing and have an issue getting the right value. In that case remove the resistor, put a POT across the pads and adjust it till you get rid of the reflections then remove the POT and measure it to find the value.

I also put them on the SDO lines, I should have them on SDI as well but missed them and since they didn't ring I did not notice.
PhilHaw

Post by PhilHaw »

Thanks for that advice Frank.

Phil.
Philip Hawthorne

sebotron

Post by sebotron »

Frank wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:12 am
PhilHaw wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:26 pm
This^^^

Put the resistor on the driving side of the line (i.e. close to FXCore for MCLK) and not the receiving side. This will cut down on reflections, ringing, false clocking, etc. Also helps FCC/CE compliance testing.

Most times values in the 30 to 50 ohm range work fine but you may have a board with complex routing and have an issue getting the right value. In that case remove the resistor, put a POT across the pads and adjust it till you get rid of the reflections then remove the POT and measure it to find the value.

I also put them on the SDO lines, I should have them on SDI as well but missed them and since they didn't ring I did not notice.
:shock:

Thank you guys! I haven't gotten my proto boards back yet but I'm definitely adding that to my design. I used the devboard schematics as a reference but I totally missed that 33 ohm resistor.
sebotron

Post by sebotron »

Hi guys!

Quick update - I did get my PCBs last week but then I'm having a bunch of issues I need to take care of before it works. Side note, hand soldering qfn is horrible. That is all 8-)
PhilHaw

Post by PhilHaw »

sebotron wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:55 pm Hi guys!

Quick update - I did get my PCBs last week but then I'm having a bunch of issues I need to take care of before it works. Side note, hand soldering qfn is horrible. That is all 8-)
I feel your pain buddy! I can barely see the QFN package never mind solder it by hand :geek: :ugeek: :shock:

Phil.
Philip Hawthorne

Frank

Post by Frank »

sebotron wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:55 pm Side note, hand soldering qfn is horrible. That is all 8-)
Flux. solder paste and hot air is the only way I will even attempt QFN.

Soldering iron? NOPE!