Development Board DLL Problem

khandy

Development Board DLL Problem

Post by khandy »

Has anyone used Virtualbox to run FXCore ASM from a virtual machine on a Mac host? I'm SURE this is an unsupported configuration, but figured I'd ask for help anyway :D I'm able to get the guest OS (Windows 11) to recognize the USB connection, and the FXCore ASM software begins to load the device but ultimately errors out with the message "The DLL LibFT260.dll is not present in the application folder". I can see clearly that the dll file does exist in the same folder where FXCoreAsm is installed.

Here's some of my system info:

Host: Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1 on a 2015 MacBook Pro with a 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Virtualbox 6.1
Guest: Windows 11
Frank

Re: Development Board DLL Problem

Post by Frank »

I have been able to reproduce the issue and I think it is actually LibFT260.dll needing a dll that is not installed in the default W11 installation. Unfortunately we did not write LibFT260 it is provided by FTDI but I will try to get time to run dependencies on it and see what dlls it may require or you can get dependencies (available on github) and see what it reports.
khandy

Post by khandy »

Thanks Frank! Do you think I should try with a guest OS less than Windows 11? Maybe I'll give that a try this weekend.
Frank

Post by Frank »

No, most likely it will have same issue with W10. Run dependencies https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies on the dll and see what it is using, check which are missing and install them. Most likely it was DLLs from FTDI's development package (Visual Studio I think) and probably available on the Microsoft site. Or try installing the Visual Studio free edition in the VM and it may install the needed dlls.
stanleyfx

Post by stanleyfx »

Frank wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:05 am No, most likely it will have same issue with W10. Run dependencies https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies on the dll and see what it is using, check which are missing and install them. Most likely it was DLLs from FTDI's development package (Visual Studio I think) and probably available on the Microsoft site. Or try installing the Visual Studio free edition in the VM and it may install the needed dlls.
Some time ago I had the same DLL error message on a PC Windows10 system, IIRC I did install a number of Visual C++ Redistributables for Visual Studio packages to fix the error. I'm sorry I don't remember which one (date) was used but I think all distro's are available as one package to download from MS.
Mick (Blue Nebula Design team)
khandy

Post by khandy »

Ah yes, I was able to make it a little further after installing the Visual C++ 2010 redistributable packages. I tried C++ 2015 first, but those most not have contained the missing DLLs (MSVCP100.dll and MSVCR100.dll). Now I see a message "There was an error opening the dev board, please check hardware and restart". I click OK and when FXCore Assembler loads, it says "FXCore dev board connected" in the lower right, but it says "FXCore detected serial number 0x00000000" on the left which I'm guessing is incorrect :-)
Frank

Post by Frank »

khandy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:56 pm it says "FXCore dev board connected" in the lower right, but it says "FXCore detected serial number 0x00000000" on the left which I'm guessing is incorrect :-)
Uh, yeah there are very few 0x00000000 serial number FXCores in the world as that was just very early test chips so none are on dev boards.

If it is not pulling the serial number it may be an issue with the VM talking to the Mac USB ports, the FTDI part is HID and I know nothing about HID drivers/devices on a Mac.

Have you tried WINE? No idea on USB support but it may be worth a try.

Just as a note, the command line assembler (but not the programming/down loading portion of it) will run under MONO on an x86 based Mac, have not had a chance to try it on a new Mac with the M1 processor. This was with intent to try to start to support other platforms, going to be a while as we need to learn a lot of stuff like talking to the FTDI chip over HID (LibFT260.dll actually does all that) natively as I want to keep a single source tree for as much as possible.
khandy

Post by khandy »

I decided to give up on the virtualization effort and purchased a Windows-10 mini PC. Now I'm getting the error "Dev Board I2C Status Error" "There was an error getting the I2C interface status, please check hardware and restart". Any ideas about this one?
khandy

Post by khandy »

Update: I saw another thread that talked about the I2C error and then I tried a powered USB port on my new (refurbished) mini PC. Finally the dev board can be recognized and my actual serial number is displayed. Hooray!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Mac command line assembler in beta so no more virtual needed, see topic on it viewtopic.php?f=10&t=116