Development board problem

Rolf

Development board problem

Post by Rolf »

There seems to be a problem with the development board connection to a computer. When connecting the board to a computer it is recognized as a HID device. One day the assembler recognizes the correct board serial number and can communicate but the next day the assembler does not identify the serial number and reports either 0XFFFFFFFF or 0X00000000. Moving to another USB-port solves to problem for one day but then it is back again and when all port have been used there is no way to continue. We are four guys in the BN development team and all have the same problems.

Kind regards,
Rolf
Frank

Re: Development board problem

Post by Frank »

We have not seen this before and no one else has reported it so please email support@xnoize.com (with the 'z') with the computer info (Windows version, etc.) and if you are all using a common s/w or h/w device.

Is your Windows up to date? We use the built in HID driver and have tested against the current versions.

We have had boards plugged into the same USB port for months without issues so we need as much info as possible to reproduce the issue here.

-Frank
stanleyfx

Post by stanleyfx »

Hi, I am getting the same error with my Dev Board as well, the present error message that I am getting when plugging in the USB then starting the assembler is
" Dev Board I2C Error, there was an error initializing the I2C interface, please check hardware and restart. Error: FT260_INCORRECT_INTERFACE. "
Mick (Blue Nebula Design team)
scmitche

Post by scmitche »

Hi Frank,
I have had the same problem as the other members of our team with the FX-Core Development board not connecting. Once connected it will connect from day to day providing that I never disconnect it during a session. I am fearful to ever disconnect it now, given the difficulties I/we have had. Operating system is Win 10 32-bit latest build updated in June.
I have experimented with ensuring that there are no power management issues where a USB device can be turned off to save power - with no difference.
Reading the Internet suggests Win 10 issues with HID/USB devices but offers no obvious solutions.

OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.256.48

Steve Mitchell
Blue Nebula Development Team
Frank

Post by Frank »

OK, is there something common to all your computers? A specific test program, hardware, etc.? Since no one else has reported this and it is affecting all 4 people on the same team I am trying to find the trigger so we can reproduce it.

I'm currently moving the board on my desk around different USB ports without any issue. I am on W10 64-bit but the program was assembled for 32-bit to be able to run on as many different Windows versions as possible.

I will look into the " FT260_INCORRECT_INTERFACE" error, while we use the Windows HID drivers we use the FTDI library to generate the HID calls so I will see if I can find what will trigger this error.

-Frank
PhilHaw

Post by PhilHaw »

I can confirm I have also been having this problem. My setup is the same as Mick's except my Win 10 Pro build number is 18362.900.

When the problem occurs, although the Assembler says the board is connected, if you check the serial number it reports in the left hand text pane, it will not be correct. My Dev Board serial number is 0x00000120 but if the problem occurs it comes up either as 0xFFFFFFFF or 0x00000000

I got mine working again my plugging in to a USB port I hadn’t used before, using a different cable and letting Windows set up the hardware. Since then, I have left the board connected and it has continued to connect reliably until this morning when the Assembler just kept saying 'No Dev Board connected'.

I tried unplugging the board and re=plugging but that didn't help. Even worse, when I tried connecting an Arduino Nano to the same port, even it was not recognized by Windows! To check this I then used the same cable with the Nano plugged into a different USB port and it worked no problem.

A little later I plugged the Dev Board back in with the same cable, same USB port and this time it beeped and the Assembler connected!

I noticed that if I look in Device Manager, when the Dev Board is connecting OK you can see the HID-compliant devices and the USB Input devices appearing and disappearing when it's unplugged again. However when the fault is present there is no beep, and no devices appear in Device Manager.

Regards,

Phil
Philip Hawthorne

Blue Nebula Development Team
Frank

Post by Frank »

Are you connecting directly to a USB port on the computer, through an un-powered USB hub or a powered USB hub? I am trying to set up a configuration as similar as possible since I have not been able to reproduce this issue.
stanleyfx

Post by stanleyfx »

Hi Frank, I am connecting directly to the PC USB ports, I am not using a hub at all. If I open the Assembler software and connect the Dev Board it does say in the bottom right of the program box "FXCore Dev Board connected" but I still have I2C error message and the FXCore serial number 0X0000000 . It is not possible to upload any asm to the board at this point.

I have a spare HD so will be doing a fresh Win10 install to test with ASAP.

Regards
Mick
Mick (Blue Nebula Design team)
scmitche

Post by scmitche »

Hi Frank,
I have stopped using either powered hub or Toshiba Port Replicator, which gave enormous problems. The only reliable connection I have is via a main USB 2.0 port on my Toshiba Win 10 32-bit laptop. I have made USB settings such that the Laptop cannot switch off power to the USB ports when not in use.

Assembler latest Version 1.06.

Regards,
Steve
Frank

Post by Frank »

OK, I have not had any issues with a powered hub. I tested USB ports directly and powered hubs without any issues. An unpowered hub can be an issue since it may not be able to provide enough power for all the device connected to it.